Sunday, April 15, 2012

EXPOSE YOURSELF WISELY!

For those that know me, I've always prided myself on being very communicative even going back to my days when there was no internet, e-mail and or cell phones. When I broke into the sports team business back in 1977, one of the joys of my life was networking with hundreds of friends that I had met from around the world. Then it was by the cost of a postage stamp and typewritten letters. I actually met my wife this way!

Today, we live in a world blessed with incredible technology and can fire off a Facebook note, a Text or an E-mail in the blink of an eye to reach a business associate, a friend or a loved one. However, when it comes to displaying one's self on these social media outlets, I would urge you on the side of caution as to how far you want to go when promoting your own likeness.

Make sure that you put up pictures only that can make you look good. There are many employers that are now spot checking Facebook profiles, for example, when they go to hire a prospect. It truly can become a tie-breaker. This is not a piece slanted only for the younger members fresh out of college; it is also a word of caution for those that are seasoned pros.

Always be aware of the image you want to portray. You are a walking (and photographic) resume every day! A brand image! Employers are making decisions on new prospects and can learn so much about a candidate simply by the person's photo files posted. Same with your vocabulary skills. If you are applying for a PR position and your profile is loitered with poor grammar and abbreviated words throughout... it might be what seals the deal and why the employer passes on your candidacy.

Do take advantage of the networking opportunities you have. Sharpen up your image. That first glimpse of you (as you've read in my past postings) can be a deal breaker and sometimes all your current or future employer needs to see to make a decision on your career hopes.


###


Jim Loria, Career Planning Expert for Sports Professionals
E-Mail: loria@sfstampede.com

No comments:

Post a Comment